Cocoa Butter, Shea Butter, and Coconut Oil all hold top spots in the natural skincare world when it comes to hydrating dry skin. For natural beauty enthusiasts, these three ingredients are known skin-saviors when we’re feeling dry, flaky, or sunburned and in need of relief! Cocoa Butter + Shea Butter are high in skin-loving nutrients and also lend a thickening action to your handmade skin care. Coconut Oil is high in fatty acids that help repair the skin barrier while providing nourishing hydration.
We were feeling inspired to make a nourishing body butter for our dry skin, but we wanted something with a lighter texture for the warm summer months. Enter: Whipped Body Butter! The act of whipping the body butter ingredients creates a fluffy, cloud-like texture to your lotion. This fluffy texture feels lighter on the skin and doesn’t sacrifice any of the skin-loving benefits.
Reach for this body butter anytime you need a dose of extra hydration for dry skin, or add a bow and give it as a gift!
Directions + Ingredients
½ c Refined Organic Shea Butter
½ c Fair Trade Cocoa Butter Wafers
½ c Coconut Oil (coming soon!)
¼ c Golden Jojoba Oil
¼ c Organic Apricot Kernel Oil (new!)
30-40 drops Essential Oil of Choice (Optional) *we used Ylang Ylang
Container(s) of your choice. Source here.
Measure + combine all of your ingredients except Essential Oils (if using) in a double boiler and bring to medium heat.
- Stir your oils constantly until thoroughly melted all the way through (about 10 mins.)
- Once the oils are completely emulsified, remove from heat and stir in essential oils.
- Move to the fridge and allow your oils to cool and solidify (about 1 hour) or if you’re feeling impatient, put your mixture in the freezer until mostly solid.
- Remove from the fridge or freezer and whip with a hand mixer for 10 minutes or until fluffy. (Note: You may experience the mixture getting really thick about midway through- keep going!)
- Divide your body butter among your containers of choice, preferably a jar with a lid of some sort.
- Your body butter is ready to use! If your body butter gets warm you may notice it liquefy slightly, just return it to the fridge to reset if you wish.
- ENJOY! Don't forget to share with your body butter with us using the hashtag #BEYOUROWNMAKER